Stay active in spite of the cold temps!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The trees are frosty, there’s snow in the air, and it is way, WAY too cold to be outside! With cold winter months now upon us (and they will be here for a while!) it is important that you keep up with a fitness routine even though it is difficult, and sometimes impossible, to get outside. Try some of these tips to help stay active all winter long.
– Go for walks at the mall or local community center.
– Use resistance bands or small dumbbells to do light exercise at home while you watch TV or your favorite holiday movies. (Canned food works great in lieu of dumbbells or bands!)
– Take the stairs instead of the elevator
– Of course, you can join a gym and make use of a variety of machines and equipment
– Look into joining or starting a basketball or volleyball team at your church or with coworkers
A sedentary lifestyle can lead to many serious health issues such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes (type 2) and high blood pressure. Don’t get discouraged or allow yourself to fall out of your exercise routine because of the cold weather. Research suggests that we only need 15-20 minutes a day of cardiovascular exercise to lead a healthier lifestyle. Take care of your body and it will take care of you for a longer, healthier life!